Holiday Season 2010
Post date: Jan 1, 2011 7:03:40 AM
Focus : Holiday Season
'Healthy' and 'Christmas' in the same sentence? It is hard to imagine, I agree.
It’s Sweet! So be indulged in festive you wait whole year round, incase you eat healthily, or has set a goal to loose weight you would be the last person to change your set doctrine.
There's a lot you can do to create healthy Christmas recipes in all sorts of small ways, to make your Christmas dinner healthier and lower in fat without compromising on taste or enjoyment.
Here we have found few things interesting from net! Well you know your moms kitchen secret! Do let us know !
· Turkey is by far the best choice for a healthy Christmas dinner, since goose and duck are much fattier Roast your turkey on a rack so that it doesn't bathe in fat as it cooks.
· When you make the gravy, skim off as much fat as you can from the juices in the pan. The best low fat Christmas dinner is slices of turkey breast meat only, with the skin removed. The dark meat is higher in fat and calories.
· Cook stuffing in a separate dish, not inside the bird. If you buy stuffing mixes, inspect the pack. Some popular brands contain unhealthy hydrogenated vegetable oils. Make your own stuffings, and use smaller quantities of healthier fats in your recipes.
· Bacon rolls and sausages: flatten the bacon rashers with the back of a knife on a chopping board, and scrape off as much fat as you can before rolling. Bake bacon rolls and sausages in the oven, then drain off the fat and place on kitchen paper to soak up as much as possible.
· Bread sauce: make it with semi-skimmed milk, and add just a small knob of butter to finish.
· Cranberry relish: add sugar with a restrained hand if you make this yourself. Fresh cranberries are extremely tart, but you can sweeten them with fresh orange juice and reduce the sugar accordingly for healthy Christmas recipes.
· Christmas pudding: traditional recipes are high in calories, but so rich that it's only possible to eat a small portion. Make it a splash of cream or custard rather than a lake, or just a dab of brandy butter.
· An exotic fruit salad is refreshing at the end of the meal, or try a champagne or lemon sorbet.
· In baking, reduce the amount of sugar, increase the quantity of sweet spices. Substitute up to half the fat content with pureed cooked apple.
Have yourself a healthy little Christmas...
- Befriend the glass of water, the bowl of salad, the plate of vegetable crudites.
- Make a decision beforehand that you won't have a total blow-out and leave yourself feeling unpleasantly over-full. Take small portions, use a smaller plate. everything you want, but in seriously smaller quantities.
- A large meal once a year won't do you any harm, but make use of healthy Christmas recipes, include salads, and remember to go back to healthier way of eating as soon as you can..
(Article is chosen from healthy eating made easy for its amazing content, one may choose to read by clicking here)